I, as the parent or guardian of a minor volunteer or Unified Sports® applicant (“Minor Applicant”), understand and agree that:
- the information I have provided may be verified and I hereby give permission to Special Olympics Northern California, Inc. (“SONC”) to make inquiry of others concerning Minor Applicant’s suitability to act as a SONC volunteer. Further, I hereby release all parties and persons from any and all liability for any damages, and voluntarily waive any and all rights, claims, charges, complaints, or causes of action I or Minor Applicant has or may have against SONC, including its directors, officers, employees, and representatives, as a result of SONC’s and/or its representative’s actions in seeking, using, and/or disclosing information gained about Minor Applicant;
- · in consideration of participating in Special Olympics Unified Sports®, if applicable, I represent that I and Minor Applicant understand the nature of the event and that Minor Applicant is qualified, in good health, and in proper physical condition to participate in Unified Sports® events. I and Minor Applicant fully understand that the event involves risks of serious bodily injury which may be caused by Minor Applicant’s own actions or inactions, by the actions of others participating in the event, or by conditions in which the event takes place. I and Minor Applicant fully accept and assume all such risks and all responsibility for losses, costs, and/or damages Minor Applicant may incur as a result of his or her participation. I acknowledge that at any time if I or Minor Applicant feels that the event conditions are unsafe, Minor Applicant will discontinue participation immediately;
- I and Minor Applicant release, indemnify, covenant not to sue, and hold harmless SONC, Special Olympics, Inc., their programs, administrators, directors, agents, officers, employees, and other volunteers and Unified Sports® participants, and sponsors, advertisers, and, if applicable, any owners and lessors of premises on which any activity takes place (“Releasees”) from all liability, any losses, claims (other than that of any medical accident benefit), demands, costs, or damages that Minor Applicant may incur as a result of participation as a volunteer and/or in Unified Sports® events and further agree that if, despite this “Release and Waiver of Liability” Agreement, I, or anyone on my or Minor Applicant’s behalf, makes a claim against any of the Releasees, I will indemnify, save, and hold harmless each of the Releasees from any litigation expenses, attorney fees, loss, liability, damage or cost which may incur as a result of such claim;
- if, during participation in Special Olympics activities, Minor Applicant should need emergency medical treatment and I am not able to give my consent for or make my own arrangements for that treatment, I authorize SONC to take whatever measures are deemed necessary to protect Minor Applicant’s health and well-being, including, if necessary, hospitalization. My or Minor Applicant’s health insurer (and not any of the Releasees or their insurers) will be primarily responsible to pay for or otherwise cover any and all medically-related expenses incurred;
- in the course of volunteering for SONC, Minor Applicant may be dealing with confidential information and agrees to keep said information in the strictest confidence;
- the relationship between SONC and volunteers is an “at will” arrangement, and it may be terminated at any time without cause by either the volunteer or SONC;
- if Minor Applicant is at any time asked to and agrees to use my or Minor Applicant’s personal or any non-owned vehicle for SONC-related business or activities, I or Minor Applicant must (1) have and maintain at least the minimum amount of automobile insurance as required by the State of California, (2) notify SONC if I or Minor Applicant does not have such coverage, (3) be in compliance with all applicable California statutes regarding eligibility to drive others, and (4) never allow any person who does not have automobile insurance and SONC’s authorization to drive my or Minor Applicant’s vehicle for SONC-related business or activities;
- I hereby grant SONC permission to use Minor Applicant’s likeness, voice, and words in or on television, radio, film, and SONC’s Website(s), or in any other form, format, or media, to promote the activities of or fundraising for SONC, without compensation; and
- I and Minor Applicant are responsible for informing SONC of ANY changes regarding information contained in this application, and for following and abiding by the Coaches’ Code of Conduct as outlined in the attached handout.
I affirm that I have read this “Release and Waiver of Liability” Agreement, that I fully understand it, and that the information I have given is true. As the parent or guardian Minor Applicant, I am signing on behalf of my child or ward and the provisions in this application bind us both. I understand that in the event any false information is provided, Minor Applicant may be terminated from his or her volunteer position with SONC and/or as a Special Olympics Unified Sports® participant.